Western Australia was close behind with 16 per cent, while South Australia is home to 15 per cent of loan applicants under 30.
CreditSimple.com.au spokesperson Emily Price, said Queensland is “one of the best places for young Aussies to get on the property ladder”.
First-home buyer incentives are shaping demand
Incentives are shaping demand, but the latest June ABS data shows the proportion of first-time buyers in the home loan market rose one percentage point to a 28-month high of 15.0 per cent, even before many of the incentives kicked in. However, the figure is still well below the long-term average of 19.4 per cent.
Mark Abra, of Landmark Harcourts, told SCHWARTZ WILLIAMS that most first-home buyers are purchasing properties off the plan because of Queensland’s $15,000 grant for the purchase of new homes.
Abra recently sold a five-bedroom house at 19 Panorama Drive, Glenvale, Toowoomba, for just under $500,000. Glenvale is in the 4350 post code, which is Australia’s third-most popular area with first-home buyers, according to the Credit Simple data.
The states with the most mortgage applications by under-30s
- Queensland 17 per cent
- Western Australia 16 per cent
- South Australia 15 per cent
- Victoria 14 per cent
- New South Wales 13 per cent
- Tasmania 13 per cent
- Australian Capital Territory 12 per cent
- Northern Territory 11 per cent
The most popular postcodes for first-home buyers
Melbourne’s 3029 postcode is the most popular zone for first-home buyers in the country.
Parminder Sidhu, of Ray White – Truganina this week sold a four-bedroom home at 10 Chaucer Crescent, Truganina, in the 3029 post code, for $510,000.
SCHWARTZWILLIAMS asked Sidhu if he has observed Truganina being popular with first-home buyers.
“That’s true,” Sidhu said.
“The affordability here is pretty cheap,” he said.
“The median price is around $450,000, and it’s only 22 kilometres from the city.”
Even in some of the more affordable suburbs north of Melbourne, you have to be very far from the city centre to buy a house for that price, said Sidhu.
In Victoria, first-home buyer stamp duty exemptions apply to new and existing properties. First-home buyers are exempt from paying stamp duty on new or established properties up to a value of $600,000, and stamp duty is applied on a sliding scale for properties between $600,000 and $750,000.
The postcodes with the most mortgage applications by under-30s
- 3029, Victoria, Melbourne suburbs including Truganina and Hoppers Crossing
- 3064, Victoria, Melbourne suburbs including Craigieburn and Roxburgh Park
- 4350, Queensland, Toowoomba suburbs including Kearney’s Spring and Glenvale
- 2170, New South Wales, Sydney suburbs including Liverpool and Moorebank
- 3977, Victoria, Melbourne suburbs including Cranbourne and Botanic Ridge
Top postcodes by state for under-30 buyers
- 4350 – Kearney’s Spring, Glenvale
- 4300 – Springfield, Goodna
- 4305 – Brassall, Yamanto
- 4870 – Redlynch, Earlville
- 4209 – Upper Coomera, Pimpama
- 6112 – Armadale, Harrisdale
- 6164 – Aubin Grove, Cockburn Central
- 6171 – Baldivis
- 6061 – Mirrabooka, Balga
- 6065 – City of Wanneroo, Landsdale
- 5085 – Clearview, Enfield
- 5162 – Morphett Vale, Woodcroft
- 5114 – Craigmore, Blakeview
- 5108 – Salisbury, Paralowie
- 5159 – Aberfoyle Park, Chandlers Hill
- 3029 – Truganina, Hoppers Crossing
- 3064 – Craigieburn, Donnybrook
- 3977 – Cranbourne, Botanic Ridge
- 3030 – Werribee, Quandong
- 3023 – Ravenhall, Caroline Springs
New South Wales
- 2170 – Liverpool, Moorebank
- 2176 – Bossley Park, Prairiewood
- 2145 – Wentworthville, Westmead
- 2148 – Blacktown, Arndell Park
- 2570 – Camden, Glenmore
- 7250 – Launceston, Trevallyn
- 7249 – Kings Meadows, Punchbowl
- 7005 – Sandy Bay, Dynnyrne
- 7310 – Devonport, Spreyton
- 7010 – Dowsing Point, Rosetta
Australian Capital Territory
- 2913 – Franklin, Nicholls
- 2617 – Belconnen, Bruce
- 2905 – Calwell, Tuggeranong
- 2914 – Amaroo, Harrison
- 2615 – Higgins, Charnwood
- 0810 – Alawa, Brinkin
- 0870 – Alice Springs
- 0832 – Rosebery, Mitchell
- 0820 – Bagot, Bayview
- 0830 – Durack, Shoal Bay